Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I Love Old Doors

I really do love old doors. For a while there I had quite the collection. My daughter, Marissa, used one of my doors to make a coffee table out of. It looks great. We polyurethaned the top and legs to protect her from the paint if it contained lead. It also made it washable.

Maybe I can get her to post a picture on her blog so you can see it.

My husband used quite a few to make a shed. It is in progress but I'll take a picture for you when it isn't snowing outside...yes, it is still snowing at my house.

I also used a door to create a wrapping paper station in my sewing/craft room. It just leans against the wall so if I reconfigure the room, it can be moved easily. Here is a picture of the whole door. (Sorry, I don't know how to turn the pictures so they are upright. Can anyone help me with this?)


Here is a close up of the ribbon. They are on spools threaded on a dowel and color coordinated. There are six hooks. I took the top dowel off so you could see what they look like. I predrilled the screw holes and then attached the hooks with screws. Yes, I figured this one out all by myself. (Buy your husband tools for his birthday and Christmas and you will have available anything you need for your projects. He thinks tools are great.)

I also hung a basket half way down the door. (I think it is supposed to be a window box for flowers but it fit the width of my door perfectly. It was one of those things I found on clearance..thought it was cool...and was sure I could find a use for it.) I put my iron and starch in the spot that is currently empty. I also have containers with ribbon I bought by the yard and other odds and ends.
Down below I have all my wrapping paper in this container. It was what antique bobbins came in when I used to have a retail store. My kids told me to get rid of it. It was in the family room and they were helping me declutter. You need that every once in awhile...an objective opinion. Anyway, I still liked it so repurposed it in my sewing room. It does have a lid that I keep on it too.

The door sits next to my cutting table where the tape dispensers and scissors sit. I hope this gives you ideas for organizing your own center.




My favorite door I used in my living room at Christmas and Halloween so I would have more places to hang decorations. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures but maybe next year I'll remember. My husband and daughter use them as photo backdrops too. Check out my husband's website and see if you can find the doors. mbborupphotography.com

I'll try and post Marissa's baby shower pictures where we used my old doors as a back drop behind the food table.
P.S. I like old windows too.







4 comments:

Charmingdesigns said...

Hi, I love what you did with your doors...Im drooling over the french toast! I found you from over at Kari and Kajs (sp) Please come and visit me.

Anonymous said...

Hi..
I got your name over at Pat's.

Nice to meet you!!!

Kathy :)

kari and kijsa said...

oh....how fun...thanks for more ideas...love the colors in your photographs!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!

smiles, kari & kijsa

Unknown said...

Wow, I love that idea! Almost makes me want to take my headboard down and make a wrap station out of it. Well, maybe I'll just find another door. Thanks for linking to my party!